Sunday, July 27, 2008

Singular Life

I have some friends who are committed monogamous. I always find it interesting, how somebody can live without having routine "bedtime" that comes parceled with marriage.
When you are single, you miss two important things that come with committed partnership, free sex with same partner and frustration that comes with it :-)

But before people start writing me about my rather 'liberal' views of single life, let me concede that there are several advantages(!) of marriage too, notably, the overbearing in-laws, demanding children, regular need to cook breakfast and food for 'family', and joint accounts which your other half regularly empties, taking your partner's car to servicing and so on.

It is always a struggle of have's and have-not's between married and single people. Married people desire what single people have (i.e. better sex life) and single people always want what they think married people have (i.e. free sex). I remember an old joke when my doctor, during the cancer treatment asked me about my sex life, and I said I am married, I don't have one!

Both have pros and cons of course, but I believe Single people have most fun in their lives. They can date whoever they like, they can go around the world and not worry about 'people waiting at home', they can spend their own money and not worry about somebody else overdrawing their accounts, and best of all they can overcook their own food. Married people on the other hand are butt of all jokes and are always at receiving end.
Married people age faster (I recently was called "Uncle"), worry about their future since the children invariably dump them and are constantly reminded of their bad physique.

I have not seen any single people in my acquaintance, ever aging. They are always young and athletic, whereas married people I know (men and women) are always pot belied or oversize. I am sure there is evolutionary reason for single people to remain attractive, but all said, who wouldn't want to remain handsome till the very end? You marry you loose the focus!

Single life has other advantages too (well less significant than the sex part but important for consideration), e.g. freedom of expression, in married life if you are man you get yelled at for not having social skills, if you are women you are looked down for your choice of mushy movies. When you are single you can do both, burp openly while watching a mushy movie.

Some of my single friends rue that they do not have their own family or they are lonely, obviously they don't know how lonely it becomes for a married person every single moment!
At a times it is nice to have somebody around to fuss about, but by and large "having family" is an overrated myth. Having family simply means bigger expense account. People could write books about 'Marriage Rocks', clearly they don't know what it means to be single!

I envy my single friends, they have all the fun in their lives, it is quite a Singular life they lead while we Plurals watch from sideways!

2 comments:

Rajeev Kulkarni said...

I have been going through these postings quite late-but it takes great nerve to comment on any aspects of marriage. Most attitudes are at best ambivalent and at best-sarcastic. However, it does not change the reality that men do not like to share & women cant go through life without sharing. If you wish to stay single (in a third world country with the burden of about 3000 years of tradition it is a bit difficult not to wish this sometime) that is a normal thing for married man.

Unknown said...

Thanks Srini ... I hope you had me in your thoughts as you penned this post.

I think, therefore I'm single.