Sunday, July 27, 2008

No Loyalty

Many times people ask you trivial questions as part of social interaction, i.e. "who is your favorite star?" or "who is your favorite author" and so on. I could never answer it. I simply don't get it. I have NO favorite actor or author that I would die for.

As part of my world cruising duties I stumble upon several so called "deities" of the modern world. My wife really envies me for that (at least one thing that keeps her awake :-)). In the lounges, I get to see Sharmila Tagore, Rahul Bose, Shahid Kapoor and likes up close. Being illiterate about film stars in India, I don't necessarily know them but given the flutter they cause in otherwise boring airport lounges, it is easy to spot that there is something 'special' (in non-sexual manner !) about them. I then generally ask the attendant or the stewardess about these 'people', and they exclaim "Oh don't you know? He is XXXX !" - insulting my general knowledge and pitying me at the same time. In all circumstances, I never felt that I should go and disturb their privacy and ask for a photograph or a signature. I liked the movie, "Pyar Ke Side Effects", I also liked Rahul Bose's work in it, but that does not mean I am a great fan and would die for his autograph.

My wife gets all excited, "You saw Bipasha Basu, and couldn't even take her autograph? What's wrong with you?"
All I could tell her was, in real life she does not appear that sexy, and not my type really!

It is very difficult for me to be a loyal fan of somebody or some concept. Having strong conviction about something is quite different than being loyal fan of something. I read so many books, but haven't found the author that I would love most. Many times I meet the authors, but none give me goose bumps. This happens all around, living in India, I am still not a fan of any special cricketer, not follower of any politician, no actor that I would like to identify with and no buxom babe that I would want to watch again and again.

I wonder why that happens, is it natural for learned men or it is simply a "trust and loyalty" problem that I have? Perhaps it is both.

I sure hope my wife does not read this blog, not being loyal might give her some ideas too !

No comments: