Monday, March 27, 2006

Journey of No Return

Today I start my personal journey of no return. A day in my life when I can make grand statements like this. I was talking to my son today, and I realized that my outlook of the world might be changing soon. Today the doctor would decide to operate upon me, on the other hand he might open up and declare that cancer is spread so much that it is impossible to operate and chemotherapy is the only option. watching lot of strangers decide whether you should leave or not is wierdest experience of all. I also realized that I may not survive this ordeal as much I would like to. I had, what is known as, deathbed experience. There are high chances that I may have malfunctioning liver and go in coma and die naturally. Once the death is accepted as inevitable rest of decision making is rather easy. As I think about it, I am kind of short circuiting the pains part. I am told that surgical procedures of any kind are extremely dangerous and could be fatal. On the other hand chemotherapy is
seen as equally dangerous, e.g. Loss of desire for sex.. I mean what is the point in living life after that? Death might be easier option in that case. Don't think I am sex maniac but let us be serious, I will not be drinking for rest of my life, no smoking and now you take out sex what remains behind? So what is life?
That is a good question to ponder over at such an artificial Sunset of my life. I would have still liked to run that marathon with my Nike shoes you know! But all my material aspirations seem very distant now. Now the only aspiration i have is to live my life. Fight for my life, be a cancer survivor. I want my son to remember me as person who fought hard.(And of course write a book about it,with photographs of before and after, no less! :-))
With all these grand thoghts i start my journey of survival today, with abundant hope and a gratitude towards life lived. 'Right ho!' as bertie wooster might have said...

No comments: