Saturday, August 26, 2006

WARNING: Radioactive Cancer Patient

So there I was waiting for the flight at Detroit, in lounge with free wireless (I love this part, hopefully we get that fixed in India). The server walks by and offers coffee and I tell him that I don't want any.
"Not good for my liver, you know!", he did not.
The neighbor with Sony VAIO (NwSV) suddenly gets interested.
"Does coffee really affect the liver?, I did not know that!". But of course!
I hate explanations, especially the one's involving my liver, but I play the ball. Thanks to my stupid corporate travel desk I have time to kill (well..er literally). We went through detailed discussion of how caffeine is harmful to some body organs while beneficial for others. Actually during the course I did not talk about my sickness, but towards the end we got talking about life of globetrotters. I talked about my experiences and how it is increasingly difficult for health challenged people like me to carry on. This point onwards the discussion went south.
"So what's wrong with you?", this was a big hint, but I missed it. I blame it on the cancer drugs, they make you fuzzy at times. I explained with some highlights (ever the consultant, never fails). The NwSV now is more interested, concerned almost, takes pain to explain that it is all right and I will survive and how someone he knew survived all right. I agreed, also explained how doctors don't like to see me anymore.
"Hmm, so what is the treatment?", NwSV.
"Nuclear medicines, with radioactive isotopes", I had to be honest.
"Side effects?"
"Well nothing for me, but the radiation is harmful to the people who are in close contact with me."
"Like how close?"
"Almost anybody in 10 feet range for more than 2 hours".
Now NwSV got suddenly alert, it was almost time for his flight. Yeah, I understand.
"Don't get me wrong, it is just that security checks nowadays, you know!"
Yes, of course. He practically rushed out.
I am seriously thinking of getting T-shirts done with radioactivity message. I have to make sure others are warned.

1 comment:

Rajeev Kulkarni said...

This qualifies for the Introduction to the sequel to Dale Carnagie's book, if you ever decide to write one.