Friday, December 10, 2004

Adding to the Insignificant

Internet is an amazing thing. There are multitudes of ways by which you can create information junk and in most cases almost free ! I always think about advancement of technology and pure insignificance of the purposes we use it for. SPAM is a good example. Why on earth average people would pay money to some doubtful business sending them unsolicitated mails is simply beyond me. On the other hand e-mail as a technology has affected our lives a great deal. Recently I came across a study where telephone companies were complaining about loss of revenue on telephone booths in India. Nobody seems to need them anymore ! E-mails which can contain voice attachments, e-mails which can be read in your local language, e-mails which work even when your local post office is not, e-mails seem to have replaced average communication media. So many advances in electronic communications have also lead to large scale spread of hoaxes (RAND Computer picture in 1954) and related urban legands. It is amazing how e-mails and web sites could spread information with lightening speed in the world. Few years ago in India there was a hoax of God idols in temples drinking milk; within one day the rumours spread throughout the world and Indian people world over were rushing to the nearest temple to confirm this. I also saw few web-sites which were anouncing news per temple in India every hour. This all sounds very strange (and to some extent stupid) now, but in the abscence of internet, I doubt if this hoax would have spread so much.
Well this is first Blog and going with the theme I will keep adding the my thoughts and other junk information to this wide world of insignificant information (including my picture while we are at it)

1 comment:

Ricky D said...

You're right about the way communication has evolved. And the way this technology is abused. It gives people such anonymity that they don't really think about who will see it and who might be affected by it. Then again the anonymity is exactly what makes people (like me for example) feel that they can get out and talk about things. I can handle someone trashing what I say on the web, but if that same person trashed me in public I'd be deathly embarassed... I suppose it like everything has it's pros and cons.